After a long week at GenCon trying to decide just how many games we could fit into our suitcases for the flight home, we wanted to talk about some of the games that have bumped other games off of our shelves in the last couple of years and made space for new stuff. Join Anthony, Chris, Daniel and Drew this week to discuss our Top 10 Games that Bumped Other Games from our Shelves, along with our newest entry in the CoolStuffInc contest for this week, Anthony’s solo gaming with Hostage Negotiator, and an interview with Mensa Mind Games judge, Greg Webster.
Cool Stuff Inc. Contest!
Our special August contest as part of the Dice Tower Network’s big Cool Stuff Inc. giveaway continues, this month with yet another way to enter. This week you can enter in a third way. First, our month long survey is still up and you can enter from the link below:
Second, you can enter on Facebook this week by going to our Facebook Page and Liking our Page, then leaving a comment on any post from the month of August. If you’ve already done so, congratulations, you’re in! Visit our Facebook Page here: http://www.facebook.com/BoardGamersAnonymous
Shout it from the Tabletop
- About last week’s news concerning the future D&D movie: blog “Critical Hits” has a great piece: “Why a D&D movie is doomed & could still be awesome”
- A Cornell computer scientist analyzed messages sent between players of “Diplomacy” searching for clues of future betrayal. He created an algorithm which predicted betrayal 57% of the time, better than expected.
- ICv2 reports Plaid Hat’s pre-GenCon acquisition by F2Z was not accompanied by an exclusive distribution deal.
- Shut Up & Sit Down’s Matt Lees contributed a piece to Vice.com about his experiences at GenCon.
- GameStop signed a deal to promote Cryptozoic products in their ubiquitous mall stores
Interview with Mensa Mind Games Judge, Greg Webster
Chris sits down with Greg Webster, the Chief Judge for Mensa’s Mind Games and discusses the process that goes into the judging of these games, what they look for when selecting each year’s entries, and how the board gaming hobby has changed over the years of their doing this.
Acquisition Disorder Corner
Learn what the guys have been pining after this week with yet another post-GenCon Acquisition Disorder Corner (yes, there are still games we want!) Learn what’s coming soon, and hear the games that are already starting to pique our interest from Essen.
Solo Gaming with Anthony
This week Anthony discusses Hostage Negotiator, recently released by Van Ryder Games and once again on Kickstarter for a second printing (until August 22nd). First available at GenCon this highly thematic single player game is a unique entry in the genre and a great new option for solo gamers everywhere.
At the Table
This week Anthony discusses his first few plays of the 2nd Edition of A Game of Thrones: Living Card Game, launched at GenCon and soon to be available from Fantasy Flight Games. In the review, he discusses the changes from first edition and the direction the LCG is going with this reboot.
Daniel also discusses a game that very much resembles an LCG in Doomtown: Reloaded. You can read his full written review here, and on the podcast this week hear about his first experiences with the game and whether it’s worth a buy, play, dodge, or burn.
Finally, Chris talks about some of the component upgrades he picked up from Broken Token at GenCon for 7 Wonders, many of which are very, very shiny.
Feature: Top 10 Games that Bumped Other Games from Our Shelves
With limited room on our shelves, the team sits down to discuss which games have bumped other games from our collections in recent years and creates a top 10 list of recent games that supplanted their predecessors. Learn which games you may need to upgrade very soon in your collection.
Final Round: Travel Sized Games for Vacation
August is a big travel month for all of us, so learn which games we take on the road with us when traveling. What games can be played in a car, on a plane, or on a bus without risking lost components or messy cards.
Listen to Episode 83
- Intro: Cool Stuff Inc. Contest!
- ?Shout it From the Tabletop
- Interview: Mensa Mind Games Chief Judge Greg Webster
- Acquisition Disorder Corner
- Solo Gaming with Anthony: Hostage Negotiator
- At the Table
- Feature: Top 10 Games that Bumped Other Games Off Our Shelves
- Final Round